A nutritious and delicious recipe for buttermilk biscuits using dark rye flour, sharp white cheddar cheese and whey
3 cups All-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup dark rye flour
5 sticks butter, chilled (I use a good European style butter such as Plugra)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp sale (preferably kosher)
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup whey
1/2 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Mix together flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Cut butter into 1/2 inch chunks and add to flour mixture. Rub butter into flour with hands, or cut with a pastry cutter, until mixture resembles small peas or very coarse sand.
- Pour buttermilk and whey into flour-butter mixture and bring dough together, being careful to not over-mix, into a large disk. Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour and up to a week. The longer you refrigerate the more flaky, crispy and croissant-like your biscuits will be.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll into a rectangular approximately 10″ x 7″. Fold into thirds like an envelope and roll out, repeating this sequence at least 3 times. In your final roll out, aim for a rectangle of approximately 12: x 10″.
- Cut 12 biscuits into desired shape and place on a greased baking pan. Transfer pan to freezer for 2 hours, covering the biscuits with saran wrap or a towel.
- Bake biscuits for approximately 15 – 17 minutes, or until golden brown and flaky. Cool for a minute or two and EAT!